Wednesday, June 5, 2019



                          To love a poet.

To love a poet
(Thanh nguyen 2019 )

I.
We are made of little things, promises we cannot keep.
the forgotten and the ignored.
 I am made of coffee and dog eared books that flap whenever you pass by.

You are made of nothing. Nothing at all, except dreams
I cannot chase.
But I see you, Galatea,
A pretty statue
overlooking the ocean.
I cannot help but fall in love,
for your smell of sea and earth,
Of blue hurricanes and fickle dust devils.

You must know 
I was raised a poet,
and hell is a place 
I often travel to.

Let me be Dante,
tired and starry- eyes,
gazing upon your gate.

II.
I drink coffee that taste 
like lingering cigarettes,
a sentimental sense
of late- night talks that go nowhere 
and friends that do.
I drink coffee 
that is as black as
the shades I wear indoors 
( it matches my dark mood that way)
I drink coffee 
because it’s easier 
to redefine love over caffeine than ethanol.

But coffee aside ( I know I’m an addict)
regard me as a simple fool:
a food without much to give 
and a heart that does not want 
much more than necessity,
perhaps only the words of a poet
too memorable to be penned,
too forgettable to think otherwise.

And you.
As far as necessities go,
coffee, poetry, and you.

III.
Hush now, will you ?
Take my silence and dance
to the ruffling of the nightingale’s feathers,
the  beating of our hearts ( oh how they bleed the rhythm of a poet’s words)
 under the flickering of a streetlamp
is where I’ ll kiss you,
so you’ll always remember 
that in the thumping cadence of a still, still night,
I love you 
with the strength 
of a thousand moons.

( Thanh Nguyên )
 
                   There's a battlescar on this heart
                    and it hurt to remember


No comments:

Post a Comment